Thursday, March 21, 2013

New Heart Rate Monitor = New Perspective

With my new found exercise obsession, I wanted to get a better read on how much I was burning.  After some research, I found a decently priced, decently rated heart rate monitor that sounded like a good fit.  I ended up getting the Polar FT4, read more about it here.

So far, after using it twice I'm really impressed.  It's extremely easy to use and gives me just the type of information I was looking for.

One thing I realized after using it a few times was that the calorie burn I was originally calculating for myself was far above what I am actually burning.  In some cases I was burning well over 100 calories less than what I planned.  When I was eating back those calories, I very well could have been overeating.  This could explain why I have been getting more fit, but not necessarily losing weight.

So my next step is to start to use the HRM to calculate my calorie burn and see if that helps with the weight loss, I figure it's worth a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment