Friday, March 1, 2013

Chicken Lettuce Wraps - The Healthy Way

Years ago, when I was in North Carolina visiting my sister, I had my first taste of P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps.  I fell in love, until I saw the nutritional information.  Those things are terrible for you!  Since then, I have been on he quest to find something similar, without all the terrible-for-you-ness. 

Tonight I tried my hand at making some healtier lettuce wraps.  Although they weren't as good as the ones at P.F. Chang's I will say, I was pretty impressed. 

Ingredients
1 lb. ground chicken or turkey (I used chicken)
8 scallions - both white and green parts, finely chopped
1 can (5oz) water chestnust - rinsed and finely chopped
1 red bell pepper - finely chopped
1/4 reduced sodium soy sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon ginger - mine came from a jar, but you can use fresh
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons seasame oil
1 clove garlic
1 large head butter lettuce - washed, dried with leaves seperated


Directions
1.  Brown the ground chicken or turkey, break up any large pieces.  When finished, drain using a collander and then put back in the pan.

2.  Add all remaining ingredients except lettuce.  Cook until peppers are soft.


3.  Assemble each wrap by placing about 2 oz. of the mixture into a lettuce leaf and then rolling, kinda like a burrito.

4.  Enjoy!


Nutrition Information (Per Wrap)
77 calories
4 g fat
30 mg cholesterol
286 mg sodium
6 g carbohydrates
1 g fiber
3 g sugar
9 g protein

1 comment:

  1. Yum - those look good....you should come visit again and try some other amazing food that we've found!

    ReplyDelete