Tuesday, March 5, 2013

As Healthy As a Cookie Could Be

Another part of our festivities today involved making peanut butter cookies.  M requested them, and I just couldn't say no, especially when she was so cooperative at the doctor's appointment.  However, knowing that peanut butter cookies are one of my absolute favorites, I didn't want to kill my eating for today either, so we found a healthy(er) alternative.  They turned out much lighter than a normal peanut butter cookie, but still had a great flavor. 

She was looking at her reflection in the bowl, had no idea I was watching


Princess Cookie Helper

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt (I used sea salt)
1 c. peanut butter
1 c. maple syrup (I used sugar free because that is all we had)
1/6 c. olive oil + 1/6 c. unsweetened applesauce (I ran out of olive oil so filled the 1/3 cup half with oil, half with applesauce)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
 
Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 350. 
2.  Mix together dry ingredients, put aside.
3.  Mix wet ingredients until well blended.
4.  Refrigerate for about a half hour.
5.  Place by rounded spoonfuls on cookie sheet (I used nonstick and did not have to spray the pan).
6.  Use fork to create crisscross pattern on cookie (this was M's job)
7.  Bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned.
8.  Enjoy!
 
Nutritional Information (per cookie)
102 calories
6.5 g fat
0 mg cholesterol
126 mg sodium
9 g carbohydrates
1 g sugar
1.5 g fiber
3 g protein
These cookies were much lighter and more cake like than traditional peanut butter cookies.  Because you are dealing with peanut butter, it is a little hard to cut the calories, fat and sodium....but at least this is better for you than a traditional cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment