Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sweet Treats Make Me Happy

So I had a pretty rough day at work today.  Eating-wise I did pretty good, but by the end of the day the stress was really getting to me.  When I got home, all I wanted was something sweet.  Seeing as my healthy eating has taken over, we have very little sweets in the house.  What we do have is a lot of fruit.  So, I decided to get M out of daddy's hair for a while, and make some blueberry muffins.

I looked around for different recipes, but everything I found was either super high in fat or super high in sugar.  So, I found something close and decided to make a few small changes.  The result?  Delicious, 123 calorie muffins that helped to calm the sweet tooth without ruining my diet!

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients

-1 cup unsweetened applesauce
-2 cups wheat flour
-1/4 c. granulated sugar + 8 Stevia in the Raw packets
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1 cup blueberries (you can add more if you like, I only had a cup)
-1 large egg, beaten
-1 tsp. vanilla
-2 tsp. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 325.  Put liners in cupcake tin, I sprayed mine lightly with some cooking spray.

Mix flour, sugar, Stevia, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.  Put aside.

Mix eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and applesauce in a medium size bowl.  Add to flour mixture, stir until blended but don't overmix.  My batter was somewhat sticky at this point.

Fold in blueberries carefully.


Fill muffin tins about 3/4 of the way.  I used an icecream scoop to help me make sure portions were as equal as I could get them. 


Bake 25 minutes.  Muffins will be lightly browned (which I'll admit is a little hard to tell with the wheat flour.)

The final product wasn't quite what I expected.  The muffins rose a bit, but not as much as I would typically expect muffins to rise.  Still, they tasted delicious!

Nutritional Information (Thanks My Fitness Pal!)

Serving Size - 1 muffin
Calories - 123
Fat - 3g
Sodium - 194 mg
Carbs - 23g
Sugar - 8g
Fiber - 3g
Protein - 3g

No comments:

Post a Comment