Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Running for Boston

Like most people, I was horrified to hear about the bombings at the Boston Marathon on Monday.  As a runner, it hit even closer to home.  As I've gotten more involved with running, the one thing that has always kept me going is the sense of camaraderie you have with other runners.  Whether you are running one mile, or 26.2 miles, we are all out there for the same reason.  To see an event that is seen as such as accomplishment attacked in such a way impacted me deeply.

The one thing that stood out to me was how instead of running away, people ran into the unknown to help those in need.  It was if that sense of camaraderie carried over, and amid such a terrible tragedy people were going out of there way to help others.  I'm sure by now you've seen or heard about runners heading to the nearest hospital to donate blood, strangers carrying people to safety, and the extreme outpouring of thoughts and prayers.  During such a sad event, it gave me hope. 

So often we hear about the bad that is around us.  Shootings, bombings, fraud, we are surrounded with negativity.  Yet, things around us are not as bad as they may seem.  There is good in this world, as evidenced by Monday's tragedy.  It is so easy to dwell on the terrible nature of the events surrounding the Boston Marathon and other tragedies like it.  Although I admit, it hurts my heart to hear of such evil, I am warmed again by the good that it brings out in people. 

Today, a good friend decided to start her journey in running.  For the first time, she hit the pavement with me there to support her.  We didn't go far, but we were there for each other.  I couldn't help but think that today we were doing so much more than running for ourselves.  We ran today to keep the spirit alive, we ran for Boston. 

As I was thinking this I happened to look down and notice that my attire was quite appropriate for the occassion.  Given to me by a friend, I was happy to represent the 26.2.  In honor of those impacted by Monday's tragedy, I'm planning on running my own 26.2.  It may take me a few days, but I'll do it with thoughts of those who were injured or killed in the bombing.  I ask that if you are able, join me, and help keep that spirit of camaraderie alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment