Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Hello my old friend.

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers

So I've finally recovered from vacation.  Funny how the thing that is meant to be relaxing, requires a period of "getting back to normal."  Being such a creature of habit, it feels good to get back into my routine.  Although, being summer the term "routine" is used quite loosely.

One that I've been struggling with is finding ways to still keep in shape while Bertha and I become best friends.  Sitting around waiting to heal just wasn't an option.  I decided to get back to the gym, knowing that once I got there I would make myself workout.  So for the past few mornings I've gotten up early and done something for an hour.


It isn't replacing my previous activities by any means. It's lonely and quite boring, but it is a whole lot better than doing nothing.

I've spent the time on the bike or elliptical finding ways to entertain myself.  Here is what I've come up with so far:

-A good, entertaining running app.  A good friend of mine got me into Zombies, Run!.  As silly as it sounds, I've gotten quite involved in the story line and look forward to my new mission each morning.  The story cuts into my music, cutting apart the monotony of staying in one place.  Plus, it will work regardless of whether I am running outside or staying stationary. 

-Intervals. I've tried to spice up my sessions by using my music as a pacer for different intervals.  One song I'll try to go as fast as possible while during another song I'll slow it down and maybe focus on my core. It keeps the activity a little different and helps and hour go by a little faster.

-The TV.  I hate that I now work out in front of the TV, but at least I'm not just sitting there.  I've learned that my choice of program can be pretty influential on how my workout goes.  First, I put the TV on mute and put on the closed captioning.  Between my music and the Zombies, I don't need another noise to add to all that is going on. Plus, I see it as me improving my reading skills while keeping up with the closed captioning (there is the teacher in me).  I've also learned to keep away from any show I'm extremely involved in.  For instance, I'm a huge Big Brother fan (guilty pleasure).  I get too into the show to get a workout in, so I've learned to save that for another time.  The best shows have been either reruns I've seen before or the news. Nothing I'm entirely vested in, but enough to help pass the time.

Do you have any other ways of entertaining yourself when you're stuck exercising indoors?

No comments:

Post a Comment